Thursday, September 4, 2008

My Inspiration

I have a very unique style. I'm not saying that to be boastful or get some sort of special attention, I'm just saying that because it is true. I frequently get stopped in the streets or in my restaurant or at parties and asked what the inspiration for my fashion is. Nearly every single time I'm at a loss for words. It's not that I'm hesitant or unwilling to give others credit for creating trends that I follow, it's just that honestly I don't know how to describe where my style comes from.

I was talking to a good friend of mine recently however about this dilemna and I think that I may have been able to make a breakthrough in pinpointing where exactly my style comes from. I wear a lot of bold colors...a lot of matching colors...a lot of accessories...a lot of foreign infusions...a lot of leather...a lot of items that individually look like they should belong in a costume shop...a lot of intense hair styles...a lot of retro...a lot of layers...a lot of bizarre fusions of style...and a little bit of high end fashion. I've tried to say some Johnny Depp, some P. Diddy, some Midwestern smalltown boy and some cosmopolitan fashionplate, but even then I was not accurately pinpointing my inspiration.

I think the truth is that I latch onto snippets of genuine artistic expression that I find from various experiences throughout my life, experiences where I find an almost innate, divine source of beauty in the human context. Once I find these sources I fuse it with contemporary style to make it realistic and wearable in an everyday context. I think the most common source of these inspirations is fantastical cinema and literature. I latch on to pieces of culture and beauty from all the different phases of human history and then by fusing it with a pair of jeans, a vest, and some accessories I find a way to second-hand experience these different forms of human beauty.

So I don't know if any of this made any sense to anyone, but that is the closest I have come in a while to being able to pinpoint my inspiration in the fashion world. Maybe as I continue to write and express myself through this blog I will come even closer to doing so.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Not being able to describe your style in a few simple words or key names is a compliment.

Today, we all strive to mimmick those we admire and nothing really earth shattering comes of it.

It's the people like yourself that inspire and are inspired.

Most people look at a picture and say "Cool. It's got lots of colors and it's kinda interesting." And maybe you'll get the one every now and then that will try to tell the story behind the picture (or make up one)...

But it seems like when you look at a picture, You don't just see colors and a story. You see a path of self expression that rocks the foundations upon which we choose what to wear.

And for that. Thank you.